Saturday, October 08, 2011

No honor among mice

For the past week I've been hearing mysterious rustlings in the walls and under cupboards.  We've had a wet week too, which led me to suspect that a gang of mice had been  driven inside.  On my near-daily meander through the hardware store today, I spotted mice traps and got a package.  When I got home, dinner was ready so I placed a mouse trap under the sink and sat down to eat.

By cleanup time, we had our first victim.  Interestingly, the cheese I had placed on the trap was gone, so either he had gobbled it down then went back to lick the grease off the trap trigger, or another mouse had crawled over the first one's dead body to get to it.  Either way, it doesn't speak much to the intelligence of the mice, although I guess they don't make particular claims along those lines.

On the plus side, the chickens loved the mouse.  As my wife pointed out, one of the downsides of belonging to a vegetarian is that the chickens don't see much food "on the hoof," so to speak.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I had no idea that chickens ate mice, even dead ones. Interesting... In our first apartment, we experienced a similar scenario. Pretty sure that means there's an all-out invasion in your house. We laid traps in the same spots over the course of many days, always waking up to having every single one of them with a dead mouse. 14 over a week or two. Pretty awesome.