Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Poor Jasmine

Poor Jasmine. She was backed into just a few months ago, and now another car ran a stop sign and poor Jasmine plowed head-first into it. At least it wasn't bad; no one was injured, and there's only minor damage to the hood and front corner panel, which should all be paid for by the other driver's insurance.

That was at 9:30 this morning. When Child was finally returned safely to work, I took the car down to a car wash to spray off some mud and salt before the insurance adjuster comes over. The car wash wouldn't take the dollar bills I had, but our bank was only three blocks away, so I drove over and got a roll of quarters.

That took about three minutes. Returning to the car wash, I found the intersection I had just passed through clogged with a tangle of car wreckage. The accident was so fresh that a police car that had been driving behind me didn't even know it had happened until we reached the intersection, at which point I pulled over, he saw the wreckage, and flipped his lights on.

The car wash was on that corner, so I pulled in and rinsed Jasmine off. I was halfway done before the first "dispatched" police car arrived, along with a fire truck and ambulance.

It wasn't until then that I realized how lucky Child and I were. Child wasn't hurt, the other driver wasn't hurt, and both cars were drivable. Child's accident could have been a lot worse. I said a prayer of thanks for Child, and tossed in a quick prayer for the people in the accident I had just passed. May God watch over us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Yeah, it's crazy when something big happens and you realize "that could have been me."

I totaled my Mom's car--front end totally pushed back 3 or 4 feet, back end pushed in 2 feet, the whole left side bashed up, and I walked out without a scratch. My car bounced like a ping pong ball between three highway lanes off of two guardrails that just happened to be there because of a creek running under the road--if the accident would have happened literally five seconds earlier or later, my car would have spun out into the woods and who knows what would have happened?

I guess we're both still alive for a reason.